Dinner Ideas: Crock-Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken

With all of us so sick here lately I’ve been keeping the cooking as simple as possible. We have gotten a little bored with the same ole stuff all the time so I decided to try and find something new to try. I came across a few ideas on Pinterest and finally found one that would work for us with a few changes.

The original recipe calls for a Hawaiian style BBQ sauce that is available at Target. Well, since Target is a pretty decent drive and I didn’t feel like getting out in the storms I substituted with Sweet Baby Ray’s which I discovered has pineapple juice concentrate in it when I read the ingredients (yes, I always read the ingredients…gotta make sure my daughter can enjoy it) so it actually ended up working perfectly. This was my first time to use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce and I’m glad I decided to give it a chance.

The recipe is Hawaiian BBQ Chicken in the crock-pot and it is super easy to make. Not only do you put the chicken in frozen but there are only 3 ingredients! Yep, absolutely perfect for my lazy (sick) day! It ended up being a huge hit with hubby and has now found a permanent spot in my cookbook.

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
Β

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4-8 hours depending on setting
Serves: 2-4

ingredients:

• 4-6 Frozen Boneless Chicken Breasts Thawed
  • 1 Bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ Sauce
  • 1 20oz can of Pineapple Chunks, drained

directions:

• Place the chicken breasts in the crock-pot,
  • Add entire bottle of BBQ sauce, covering the chicken,
  • Add drained can of Pineapple Chunks on top,
  • Cover and cook: 4 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW
Serve whole breasts with favorite side dish and enjoy!
Β
I chose corn on the cob and green beans (for Abby) just to keep things simple. Works great with rice as well, just depends on what you like. We were quite happy with the sauce I chose and I loved how simple this was. Another huge hit with the family and now a new family favorite πŸ™‚
If you try it out let me know what you think! πŸ™‚
Thanks to Six Sister’s Stuff for the recipe idea
Signature

Speak Your Mind

Comments

1. the older I get the less I like to cook and the closer my crock pot are becoming as ‘good friends’
    Love this one.

2. I love Crock pot recipes because they are so easy!

3. This one belongs in the Cheater’s Kitchen hall of fame for sure! How crazy easy! I’m totally stealing this one and claiming all the fame πŸ™‚

4. This is awesome! I love how it’s a total meal in one step. I’ve been using my crockpot a ton for easy meals during recent chaos and I love it so much – I’ve never tried cooking raw meat in it but that’s next on the list! πŸ™‚

5. This looks really good! I’m moving out next month and I will definitely be buying a crock pot so I could use this recipe.

6. I can’t wait to try this, thanks for the recipe

7. Oh my gosh, I was surprised to see only three ingredients. Love it! Will be trying it real soon. Sweet Baby Ray’s is the only bbq sauce I buy. It is not because it is the creation of a chef in the town I live in. It’s the best!

8. Looks good! I love slow cooker recipes!

9. I love pineapple and chicken! Crock pots are so nice to have and use. I don’t like cooking, all that much, and they come in handy for me. I will add this recipe to my collection, thank you!

10. Sounds delicious! I am going to try this recipe

11. Trying this tommorow night

12. Making this for dinner tonight. We’re excited to see how it turns out! πŸ™‚

13. In my crockpot right now! thanks!

14. cooking it for dinner tonight, sick as can be, but when your a mom, your not allowed to slow down, and still need to take care of the family… So Hawaiian Chicken it is!!

15. We’re using this on cauliflower pizza crusts to make Hawaiian bbq chicken pizzas. Love it! Shred the chicken up, I putt the pineapple juice in the bbq bottle to get all of it out, throw a little sauce on the crust then the chicken and top with cheese. Throw it in the oven to melt the cheese and bam! Awesome pizza! Thanks for the chicken recipe.

16. What kind of barbecue sauce did it originally call for out of curiosity? It sounds great, I may have to try it out. (:

17. I love how easy this sounds! And my daughter wants a Hawaiian theme birthday party so I think I’ll be making this! Should be a hit with all the grown ups!

18. What size bottle of BBQ sauce did you use?

19. What size bottle of BBQ sauce did you use?

20. Kittie I zoomed in on the pic….it says 18oz.

21. It will be done very soon ,hopefully its as good as it smells πŸ™‚

22. I made this tonight for dinner, and wow it was a hit! I Put it on high for 6 hours and then finished it on low for about an hour, and it turned out perfectly! I don’t see that anyone else has said this, so if you want to have it a new and interesting way, do what I did. I served it with linguine and stir fry vegies. I know it sounds kind of odd, but believe me it was DELICIOUS πŸ™‚

23. Leslie Travers says:

Does the chicken breasts have to be frozen

• no, they don’t have to be frozen. Just adjust the cook time πŸ™‚ I’m just terrible about forgetting to thaw things out.

• Curious how long to cook if chicken is thawed out.

• Since I’m still learning to cook, I did some searching online to answer your question. Everything I found said to cook thawed chicken breasts for 4-6 hours up to 8-10 hours on low. According to the recipe I posted, which I did get from another site (linked to), that is the same cook time. From my experience, I actually cook my chicken longer when frozen. When cooking on low, I actually let my chicken cook 6-8 hours when I put them in frozen. Now that I have a little more experience cooking I’m going to change up this recipe from the original.

24. I would try this with teryaki sauce!

• I hadn’t thought of using teryaki sauce! That sounds like it might be good πŸ™‚ will definitely be giving it a try.

25. cant wait to try this!

26. Amy Tolley says:

i made this recipe wonderful….thanks so much for sharing this with us..my family loved it…

27. Trying this tonight!

28. I have all the ingredients in my house….I’m making this today!!

29. Larita Merritt says:

I am going to try this today!

30. In my crockpot right now πŸ™‚

31. Made this recipe but also added brown sugar and teriyaki sauce. Lets see how it goes!

32. Rachael says:

I really enjoyed this recipe and my family also loved it! Very yummy and sooo simple after a long day of work.

• So glad your family enjoyed it! I’ve been meaning to add this one back to our menu, your comment helped remind me πŸ™‚

33. I have decided to try it but I decided to bake buttered asparagus and baked beans as my sides. I’m sure it will all taste great together.

• Oh that sounds yummy! I know I’ve paired it with baked beans before but never buttered asparagus, might have to sneak that onto the menu and see what my daughter does with it πŸ™‚

34. I’m making this tonight! Thanks for sharing

35. OMG! I LOVE THIS! Do you have any more quick and easy crock pot recipes?

36. This will be dinner tomorrow

37. My family loved this!! I tweaked it a bit and used a can of crushed pineapple w/ the juice and 1/2 of a large bottle of the BBQ sauce, 4 chicken breasts, minced garlic, brown sugar, green peppers and some low sodium soy. After 8 hours on low I took the chicken out, shredded it and put it back in the crock. The chicken to sauce ratio was perfect and I served it on buns w/ some coleslaw. Great easy meal.

38. Making this right now, cant wait to see how it turns out πŸ˜€

39. Tiffany Boehler says:

Just put this in my Crock Pot!! Only I used Jerk chicken marinade because that is all I had on hand put it has pineapple concentrate in it so I think it will work fine!!! I can’t wait for supper!!

40. Going to try your recipe tonight! Super excited!! πŸ™‚

41. Joey Elisabeth says:

This dish was Definitely a WINNER in our family! So easy & even my picker eater had seconds! We ate it over rice with a side of greenbeans. Thanks!

42. Crystal Royal says:

Making it now…

43. This recipe in my opinion is mediocre. I love flavorful stuff and this didn’t have much flavor or should say hawaaiian flavor at all. There was some BBQ flavor. A little. Definitely some missing key ingredients needed. Would make it again for BBQ chicken and add seasonings to it.

• I appreciate your thoughts! I tend to keep some of my recipes a little tame, or did anyways, for my daughter since she was little and has several food allergies and sensitive tummy. Now that she’s older and likes more flavors (and spicy thanks to her daddy), I tend to add more flavor to things. I hope you gave it another try and changed it up for your taste buds πŸ™‚

44. great and easy recipe!

45. This is amazing and so easy

46. I used bbq instead of the orginal sauce, hope it turns out as good!

47. Im going o try it today

48. This is in my crockpot right now and it smells wonderful! I added some brown sugar and onions to the mix, and cannot wait to try it out!! I added about another half a bottle of BBQ sauce to be sure the chicken was covered! Yum!!

49. Tania harvey says:

Sweet baby rays sells hawaiian bbq sauce now! That’s what I am using today. I ordered it on amazon, 3 pack for $11.

50. Doing this for pot luck tomorrow at work!

51. Meredith says:

This is in my crockpot now. I always like to read people’s comments after preparing and eating the meal. I will post about it after we eat it tonight

52. Meredith says:

This was a huge hit! I cooked the chicken for 2 hours on high and 30 minutes on low. The chicken was so tender. I also used the biggest bottle of sweet baby rays and got the honey bbq. This was a great and SUPER easy recipe.

53. Dianne Castor says:

I made this & forgot to drain pineapple. It was delicious!!!

54. Dianne Castor says:

I made this with Kraft Original Barbeque Sauce. I forgot & used the whole can if pineapples including juice. It was delicious!!!!

55. jessica hager says:

Making this recipe today! Thanks for posting it!

56. My Family really loved this. It was quick, easy and packed with flavor. I WILL make this again

57. Made this for supper tonight and my hubby LOVED it! Surprisingly my picky kids liked it too! I cooked my thawed chicken in the crock pot on high for an hour and a half and it came out great! Thanks! πŸ™‚

58. Making it now and it smell so good.

59. So I have sweet baby Roy’s barbecue sauce, chicken breast and crushed pineapple will that still work? I’m sure going to try it.

60. Sounds great! I’m going to try this today, Thanks!

61. Sounds great. Will try it this weekend

62. FYI: I just read an article that it is unsafe to put frozen meat into the crockpot. According to this article the frozen meat can’t reach proper temperature. Better safe than sorry is my motto.

• I appreciate your comment! I’ve read mixed opinions on cooking with frozen (only in crockpot) and not. While we have always been fine, never had any problems and many continue to say it’s okay, I have started changing up my recipes. I plan to edit soon! and I understand your thoughts πŸ™‚ I don’t know anyone who has gotten sick as long as they cook things properly.

63. Great recipe Robyn!!! Thanks for sharing! I have been a fan of Sweet Baby Rays for a long time! Only thing is, Im looking for a new favorite…one of the first ingredients is corn syrup. Anyone know of a great bar-b-que sauce that is somewhat healthy?

• Hi Trish!
      We have actually started eating healthier since moving & my daughter starting school. I have found a new BBQ sauce that we love and is a somewhat healthy choice. I’m not at home to get the name for you but I’ll post it for you soon!

64. Diana Rodriguez says:

Thanks Robyn!!
    I’m watching my granddaughter today and she loves “cooking” with me. This will be easy enough for her to do the entire dinner and still give us time to do some running around. ~Diana πŸ’™

65. This recipe sounds like something I would like. I’m going to try it today!

Trackbacks

1. […] I’m working on cooking better this year and we did this one tonight: Hawaiian BBQ Chicken. I made this with rice and peas as the […]

2. […] adventuresnabbyland.com – Get the recipe […]